Your Clover Mini ships with a Quick Start Guide to help you connect your hardware components, including:
- On-screen signature capture
- Built-in printer
- Front-facing camera
- Barcode and QR code reading (using front-facing camera)
- 2 connectivity options—Ethernet and Wi-Fi; Ethernet, Wi-Fi, and 3G
- 7″ Antimicrobial Corning® Gorilla® Glass display screen
After powering on your device, you can either follow the Setup Wizard to activate the device or use the instructions that follow.
Set up your hardware: The Clover hardware package includes:
Connect your hardware
- Plug the power brick's circular plug into the white hub.
- Plug the power cord into the power brick and then plug the other end into a power source.
- (Optional) Use the white USB cord to connect other accessories (such as the cash drawer, scanner, etc.) to the hub.
- (Optional) To switch the direction of the hub cable attached to the underside of the device, use the green screwdriver to loosen the hub connector and reverse the cable direction. Tighten the green screw until the screw's head is level with the charging cable.
- When the Mini powers on, a Clover logo appears on screen. Select the primary language to use for setting up your device and then follow the Setup Wizard instructions.
If the device doesn't power on when plugged in
- Leave the Mini plugged into a power source for at least 30 minutes to allow the backup battery to charge.
- Unplug all cables from the hub.
- Press and hold the power button for 20 seconds, located in the receipt compartment at the back of the Mini.
- Plug the black power cable back into the hub.
- After you see the Clover logo display on the screen, plug in any other connecting cables and cords that were originally attached to the Mini, or that you would like to attach.
Connect your device to a network
You need an internet connection to activate your device. After your device powers on, the Connect to Network screen helps get you connected.
Connect to the network with an Ethernet cable
Because wireless connections can be unreliable or spotty (which is often out of your control), we recommend connecting your Clover devices to the internet via Ethernet. This method ensures that your Clover device is connected and online even when your wireless connection is not responding.
If your Ethernet cable is already plugged into the hub, your device automatically tries to connect to the internet. If the cable isn't connected, follow the instructions to plug it into your device.
Note: You can always connect to the Ethernet after exiting the Setup Wizard.
- Plug one end of your Ethernet cable into the device hub.
- Plug the other end into your modem, router, or switch. Your device automatically tries to connect to the internet. When connected, you'll see Successfully Connected to Server.
- If your device doesn't automatically connect, tap Check Connection. If this fails, wait two minutes and tap the Check Connection button again.
- If an Error connecting to the network message appears:
- Check that the router is connected to the internet by plugging in your laptop or mobile device.
- Check that the Ethernet cable is plugged all the way into the Printer.
Connect to a Wi-Fi network
- Tap Configure next to the Wi-Fi option.
- From the list of available wireless networks, tap the name of your wireless network. (If your network doesn't appear, tap Add a New Network and then tap the network by name.)
- Enter the network password and tap Done.
- Tap Check Connection.
When the connection is successful, you'll be guided through the activation process. If not, you'll be asked to select a different network or re-enter the Wi-Fi password.
If you don't see your Wi-Fi network name, you may have a WEP, or open access, network. For successful PCI compliance, connect your Clover device to a secured WPA or WPA2 network.
Activate your device
Activation codes are unique to each device. After your device connects to the internet for the first time, Clover sends an email from Clover Support (firstname.lastname@example.org) containing the activation code. Look for a subject line: Clover Activation Code.
Note: If you ordered multiple devices, look up the serial number to match the activation code for each device.
If you've already set up your Clover account, you can also log into the Web Dashboard and find the activation code at the top of the home screen.
The serial number of a Mini is located at the top of the activation screen or on the underside of the Mini.
- Look for the email from Clover Support (email@example.com) that contains your activation code.
- Enter the 8-digit activation code.
After entering the activation code, your Clover device connects to the network, downloads and installs the latest version of Clover software, and then reboots. Depending on the device, you may need to install a second download. Follow the directions to continue setting up your device.
Note: Your device may reboot several times during the installation process. This is normal as Clover updates its operating system. You will be able to continue setting up your merchant account after it reboots.
Set up an Admin account
When you activate your first Clover device, you'll be asked to enter an admin passcode. This passcode lets you access all your Clover devices as the owner or admin.
Note: If you already have an admin account, the setup process skips this step and your apps start installing.
- Enter a 4-digit passcode you want to use to access your Clover devices as the owner/admin.
- Re-enter the passcode to confirm.
To change the passcode in the future, go to Employees > Setup on the Web Dashboard.
After entering your activation code and passcode (if required), your apps should start installing. Please wait until the install process is complete. You can customize your Clover device by installing additional apps from the More Tools > Apps by Clover menu after setup is complete.
Customize your device
After your apps install, you can set some initial custom settings. To change the passcode settings in the future, go to Employees from the Web Dashboard and select Details.
- Do you want to require a passcode to unlock your device?
- Yes, require a passcode
We recommend that every employee use a passcode to unlock your device. It provides added security and more detailed reports.
- No, don't require a passcode
For terminal parity, you can select the option to unlock your device without a passcode. However, we recommend that you require employees to enter a passcode to unlock your device.
- On tablet screen
- On printed receipt
If you plan to accept tips, make sure that your closeout time is at least an hour after your business has entered tips for the day.